MyWebsite

MyWebsite
Come Visit ME!!!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Week Three

Assignment:
We had to create a Mash-up/Collage of at least one Lincoln Era Image and one of our own. I did one Phototshop piece and one free-standing sculpture.

Craft:
For the Photoshop piece, I selected the two images. I then adjusted the color in the Flag Photo to match the Lincoln photo. I adjusted Lincoln, resized him, and created a layer mask so I could take out the background without destroying the original image.
For the sculpture, I selected a few Lincoln pieces and a few contemporary pieces. I adjusted the color in photoshop(Lincoln images red and my images blue). I than printed and taped them to the hat of Abraham Lincoln. (The final piece will have it better attached.)

Composition:
I chose to do a sculpture because I knew it would stand out in a class full of flat images. My photoshop piece if I were to redo it I would get a clearer wormseye shot of the tank and a flag in the background. That way when I put Lincoln in the photo it looks as though we are looking up toward the greatest commander-in-chief our country has ever known.

Concept:
For the sculpture, I wanted the inside of the hat to represent the "real" Lincoln. I put pictures of him as a young man, with his family, and finally as president inside the hat. The hat represents the "Lincoln the Idol" who has lost touch with the real man. That shows Lincoln in the mass culture. The images on the outside of the hat are to represent the modern times and how we as a society still face the same challenges as Lincoln did in his time.
If you want you could say that we need to spend less time glorifying the idol and more time focusing on the man if our society is to learn and advance from those problems that haunted Lincoln as well as us.

No comments:

Post a Comment